March 19, 2008

Let's have a tea party...

tea party


I'm always up for tea!!! Mommies United is having a tea party and invited us to join the fun!

Tea Selections:

  1. Organic Yerba Mate by Eco Teas. What is Yerba Mate? Yerba Mate is a holly tree native to the rainforests of South America. Its leaves are brewed into a vital green beverage: mate (say mah-tay). Mate is the national drink of Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay. I have it with one splenda and a couple of drops of honey. Yummy! This tea is a natural energy and fitness tea. It raises your metabolism, regulates appetite, aids digestion, supports an active lifestyle and provides antioxidants, minerals, amino acids a& B vitamins.
  2. Madagascar Vanilla Red by Celestial Seasonings. Located off the southeastern coast of Africa, the island of Madagascar increasngly relies on agriculture as a source of economic growth. Madagascar is the world's largest producer of vanilla and is responsible for more than half the global export market for the extract. Rooibos (Afrikaans for "red tea") is an herb tea made from the foliage of a hardy shrub grown only in South Aftrica's Cederberg mountains. madagascar Vanilla Red blends 100% natural vanilla with mellow rooibos to make a smooth, satisfying brew. It's also naturally caffeine free! Cake:

tea party

A lovely GIANT cupcake. A Wilton Giant Cupcake cake pan was used!

And a scrumptious Red Velvet cake recipe from Martha Stewart:

Ingredients:

Unsalted butter, softened, for pans
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
2 1/2 cups cake flour, not self-rising
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups canola oil
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons white vinegar
(the above makes 5 cups of batter)

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter pans; line with parchment paper. Butter lining; dust with cocoa, tapping out excess. Set aside. Whisk together flour, salt, and cocoa in a medium bowl; set aside.
  2. Mix sugar and oil on medium speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk until combined. Add eggs one at a time; mix well after each addition. Mix in food coloring and vanilla. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk and beginning and ending with flour, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
  3. Stir together baking soda and vinegar in a small bowl. Add baking-soda mixture to batter, and mix on medium speed 10 seconds. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake until a cake tester inserted into centers comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely in pans on wire racks.

I really want some cake now!! This post has made me hungry!

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Crafty Mama said...

Oh, that cupcake has made my mouth water. Why doesn't anyone deliver cakes like pizzas?

http://craftyhandbags.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a cupcake! Thanks for sharing!

Joanna said...

I have never seen a cupcake so BIG! Looks good! I want that for my birthday.. :p

Natalie said...

great cupcake cake!!! and i learned a lot about tea. thanks for having me over! oh and i love the look of your blog.

Shana said...

I LOVE red velvet cake! I am going to have to try out this recipe. Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by my tea party! :o)

lace said...

My aunt is from Argentina and introduced me to Mate. I don't drink it very often but I have from time to time. I prefer English Breakfast.

That is the greatest looking cake I have seen in awhile. I agree with crafty mama. Why don't they deliver cake like pizza?

Erika said...

THanks for stopping by! I like your choices of tea. Have you ever tried green tea??? I've been reading a lot about all of the benefits of green tee and I'm curious how it tastes!